Sunday, September 30, 2007

"Pattern Your Resume on Leaders In Your Field"

This article caught my eye because as an architecture student, I am constantly being reminded by professors that I can look to the past and see what others in the field have done and draw inspiration from them without "stealing" their ideas. I know that there is an abundance of resources out there for creative ideas concerning architectural projects and even portfolios, but it's nice to know that there are also resources out there for resumes (which are often overlooked in architecture).

I like that one of the resources the article mentions is a professional in the field. To me, that seems like the most logical place to look and luckily for us architecture majors, most architects are proud enough to show off their work and "help" you through the job hunting process. I also think the article makes a good point in limiting the advice received from those closest to you. Of course your mom and best friend think you're a genius and that any firm would be crazy not to hire you (even if it is nice to hear them dote on you every now and then). :)

I think that there is not enough emphasis put on the resume in my field. So much emphasis is put on our portfolios (which are the most important thing to an architect) that the resume gets left behind. Isn't it better to have an amazing portfolio AND resume?

No comments: