Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Web 2.0: The Wave of the Future

I think Web 2.0 is, in a way, a satirical title. Everyday there is something new coming out in the world of technology and it's an up-hill battle to keep up, if not impossible. I find it scary how easy it is to access the web as well as create websites. Literally anyone with access to a computer and the internet can do it. This is very applicable to the business world - whether it is posting your resume online or having a potential employer look up your facebook or myspace profile. I think it's important for people to be very aware of how accessible one becomes once they create an e-mail account or a blog or any type of website that is publicly accessible. As far as the sharing of information is concerned, I think I have somewhat of a different view of that than many people might have. Being in architecture, we are constantly encouraged to look to others for inspiration and ideas - this is the whole premise behind the studio atmosphere. It seems plagarism is an obsolete term in this major - as long as it's passed on as "inspiration." I don't necessarily agree with this but I think the internet only facilitates this type of attitude.

As long as we keep "feeding the machine" it will only get bigger. I think it's important for people to keep a close eye on what is going on with technological advances - it only gets more personal and invasive everyday.

No comments: